Malta Today
This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page

SEARCH

powered by FreeFind

Malta Today archives

News • April 11 2004

EP elections: Guido still undecided, Eddie wanted to contest

Former President Guido de Marco says he is still undecided whether to contest June’s European Parliament election even though the deadline for candidates’ nomination is now less than one month away.
The 72-year-old told MaltaToday he was still “settling in” after his five-year term at San Anton Palace and had not yet decided on the EP election.
“Right now I’m busy relocating,” he said. “You’ll get to know (whether I’ll contest or not) when I will have made up my mind.”
Describing himself as one who has “never been a lover of sunsets,” it is difficult to imagine Prof. de Marco retiring from public life, although the EP elections might be a risk not worth taking.
On the other hand, top PN officials say Eddie Fenech Adami wanted to contest the EP elections after resigning from Prime Minister in a bid to secure the party’s third seat in Brussels.
Seemingly concerned by the PN’s prospect of failing to garner enough votes in the June election, Fenech Adami had told PN officials he would contest for Brussels and resign within a year, but his appointment as President made him change plans.
In an interview with The Times last Wednesday, the President said he was “put under a lot of pressure by Dr Gonzi,” to accept the post while his family was insisting he retires from public life.

Newsworks Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 02, Malta
E-mail: maltatoday@newsworksltd.com