Malta Today
This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page

SEARCH

powered by FreeFind

Malta Today archives

News • April 11 2004

Parties indifferent to BA chairman’s objections

While the Broadcasting Authority Chairman says he is keen on persuading the two major political parties that blatant propaganda on their television stations is a “disservice to their audience” his words have not impressed either the PN or MLP.
The Secretary General of the Nationalist Party, Joe Saliba, agreed there was a lot of propaganda on television, but denied there was any on Net TV. His Labour counterpart, Jason Micallef, said the MLP television station was ultimately funded by Labour supporters and was therefore answerable to them.
BA Chairman Joseph Said Pullicino has long been saying that the two political stations were dishing out propaganda in their news bulletins. Only last week, he told MaltaToday that he was trying to persuade the two parties this would work against their own interests.
“The way the law is drafted gives leeway to the parties’ interpretation, that one station balances the other,” he says. “That’s the parties’ interpretation of balance. I personally disagree with this interpretation. But rather than declaring direct war with politicians, I think it would be better to resort to persuasion, to convince them that it’s in their own interest, rather than imposing our will.
“My point is that when it comes to news, political party stations should take a different approach. While they have every right to give news their own slant, they should respect facts for what they are, and comment should be clearly presented as such.”
Saliba said the BA chairman was right in saying there was too much propaganda on television, but added: “What he said does not apply to us…You can’t compare Net to Super One. Actually I’m surprised that he doesn’t take steps to redress the situation. It’s his responsibility to make sure that parties give a good service to their audiences.”
Micallef did not deny that the MLP station kept dishing out propaganda.
“That is why public broadcasting has such an important role and needs to remain fair to all parties,” he said. “People should be in a position to watch PBS and get the full picture.”
Asked whether he agreed with the BA chairman that the party station was giving a disservice, Micallef said: “The party station is funded by Labour supporters and they expect the Party’s views to be reflected there. I respect Said Pullicino’s opinion and I believe he’s doing a good job but naturally we have our political obligations which we have to honour.”

Newsworks Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 02, Malta
E-mail: maltatoday@newsworksltd.com