Malta Today
This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page

SEARCH

powered by FreeFind

Malta Today archives

News • March 28 2004

“I will kill you,” Mintoff tells MaltaToday editor

This was the threat made after the conclusion of a court hearing held last Thursday in a libel case instituted by Dom Mintoff against MaltaToday editor Saviour Balzan in relation to a series of articles on the BICAL bank.
MaltaToday is insisting that it reported the BICAL events faithfully. After the court hearing, former Prime Minister Dom Mintoff was heard commenting that he might not ‘be around’ next time the case is heard. Still in the courtroom he suddenly approached Mr Balzan and told him: “You are not going to kill me, because I will kill you.” Lifting his fist to Mr Balzan’s face he told him: “I have never been scared of anyone. I will kill you.”
Mr Mintoff said these words in the presence of his lawyer, Dr Karmenu Mifsud Bonnici, Mr Balzan’s lawyer, and two court officials. Mr Balzan has filed a report with the police and asked them to institute legal proceedings against Dom Mintoff.

Newsworks Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 02, Malta
E-mail: maltatoday@newsworksltd.com